Vitamin D, commonly known as sunlight vitamin is the most essential vitamin necessary for individuals of all age groups. Vitamin D deficiency is one of the global concerns and the low level of this vitamin can bring serious health issues. As vitamin D is the most vital vitamin for the body, it helps to maintain healthy bones, boosts the immune system, keeps teeth stronger, and controls cellular growth. The deficiency of vitamin D can cause rickets, hypocalcemia, and osteomalacia. The deficiency can be caused due to nutritional insufficiency, intake of medications for hormonal issues, cystic fibrosis, and other aetiologies.
Over the past few years, children are not exposed much to the sunlight might be due to the harmful radiation like ultraviolet light emitted from the sun can cause skin cancer. A lot of research also says that sunlight can protect you from autoimmune diseases. Let’s in this article will discuss vitamin D deficiency and some simple tips to overcome it. Gather more information and keep reading the post!
Signs and symptoms of vitamin D deficiency in children:
- Vitamin D deficiency never shows up in children, but certain times experiencing bone and muscle pain can be caused due to a deficiency of vitamin D.
- Bones get softer and cause bow legs or knock knees in them.
- Seizures (fits) in babies.
- Constantly falling sick
- Suffering from severe back pain
- Reduced bone density
- Feeling sore muscles
- Severe hair loss
- Excessive sweating
- Sudden mood swings
- Frequent respiratory problems
- Having high blood pressure
If you are suffering from any of the above symptoms, take your child to the paediatrician, your doctor may suggest vitamin D test and if the results show positive for the deficiency, the doctor may prescribe vitamin pills or supplements ease the symptoms. If your kid is already under medications, inform the doctor as the supplements can hinder your regular medications. Buy OTC products online from any reliable online medical store on discounts with free home delivery.
Why vitamin D is necessary for the children?
Vitamin D is necessary for carrying out various metabolic functions in the body. Some of its function includes:
- It regulates calcium as vitamin D is essential for the maintenance of bone mineralization
- It eases muscle weakness and muscular pains
- Improves bone development
- Increases immune functions in the body.
Which are the foods rich in vitamin D?
The most common source of vitamin D is from sunlight. Apart from this easy and cheap available source, the following foods will help to maintain the daily requirements needed for retaining the healthy immune system. The list includes
- Oily fish like mackerel, tuna, and salmon
- Cod liver oil
- Vitamin D fortified cereals
- Vitamin fortified milk
- White beans
- Egg yolk
- Fortified orange juice
Who are at the risk of getting vitamin D deficiency?
The following are the conditions where children can get vitamin D deficiency if:
- If the skin is completely covered
- If kids have a darker skin
- Limited exposure to the sun and who don’t head outdoors
- Children who are suffering from risk factors such as diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, kidney disease, and who use certain medications are prone to vitamin D deficiency.
Tips to overcome vitamin D deficiency:
There are many essential ways to boost vitamin D levels in the body. Here, we share a few ways to improve your vitamin D levels in the body:
- Spend some time outdoors to increase the production of vitamin d by directly standing in the sun during the morning hours.
- Spend more time in the sun if you have a darker skin tone complexion as the melanin in the skin can inhibit vitamin D production.
- Include more fatty fish, milk products, and vitamin D fortified foods in your diet.
- Exercise daily to improve the production of vitamin D.
Who should take a vitamin D supplement?
Kids require vitamin D for their growth and development. At least, 15 to 30 minutes spent outside is enough to make all the vitamin D requirements the child needs. But, wintertime is hard for the body to make vitamin D hence, give your child vitamin D supplement to meet the required dosage for the year around. Speak to your child’s doctor before taking vitamin D supplementation as building the strong, healthy bones and to ward off the infections is the dream of every parent. Hence, take vitamin D supplements from the trusted online pharmacy store at a low price in India and get them delivered at your doorsteps.