Honey has been used for food and medicinal purposes since ancient times. It is a rich source of useful plant substances and has many health benefits. Honey is especially healthy when used as a substitute for refined sugar, which contains 100% empty calories. You can also search for export quality honey in Pakistan.
What is the main purpose of Honey in Antioxidant?
Researchers believe that some of the main health benefits of honey are due to its antioxidant content. Natural honey contains a number of compounds that act as antioxidants, such as phytochemicals, flavonoids and ascorbic acid.
Antioxidants reduce oxidative stress in the body by destroying free radicals. Scientists believe that oxidative stress is linked to a number of chronic diseases, including several types of cancer. Eating foods rich in antioxidants may help reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases.
- Some people believe that pasteurization reduces the antioxidant content of honey, meaning that pasteurized honey does not have the benefits of raw honey.
- There are no specific studies on how pasteurization affects the antioxidant content of honey, but studies have shown that the antioxidant content of other foods is reduced when heated.
Honey contains certain nutrients that make it a healthy part of the diet. The exact nutritional and chemical composition of raw honey varies from country to country and environment to environment, depending on the flowers from which the bees collect nectar. However, honey does contain useful ingredients such as antioxidants, amino acids and vitamins.
How to use it?
One tablespoon, or 21 grams (g), of raw honey, contains 64 calories and 16 grams of sugar. These figures may vary by brand and batch.
- Natural honey contains small amounts of the following vitamins and minerals
- Pantothenic acid (PTA)
Source of Sugar
- Honey is a natural source of sugar. Just over half of the sugar in honey is fructose. Studies have shown that fructose is associate with various health problems.
- However, despite the presence of fructose, honey can be a healthy alternative to table sugar. So, some studies have shown that honey can help prevent diabetes and some types of honey can raise cholesterol levels.
- So, People with diabetes and those on a low-sugar diet can consume honey in moderation to avoid significant changes in blood sugar levels. Pure honey has a glycemic index (GI) of 58, which means it has a moderate effect on blood sugar. For more information on the GI scale, click here.
- Honey helps to clean wounds and prevent infections.
- Honey has natural antibacterial and antibiotic properties. So, It contains hydrogen peroxide and glucose oxidase and has a low pH, which helps kill harmful bacteria and fungi. In addition, due to its unique chemical composition, it does not support the growth of yeast and bacteria.
- Because of its antibacterial properties, it can also use to clean wounds.
- So, Studies have shown that Manuka Honey in its raw form is effective in killing common pathogens such as
- Staphylococcus aureus, the causative agent of skin infections
- Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori), the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers and chronic gastritis.
- Many studies have shown that honey is an effective wound healing dressing.
- One study shows that the antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of honey promote wound healing. Honey has also been shown to have antiviral and antifungal properties.
- Honey also has acidic properties, which release oxygen from the wound and promote healing.
- Apply raw honey directly to small cuts and burns, then cover the wound with gauze or a bandage. You can also buy Manuka honey products for wound healing at pharmacies and online stores.
- Some studies have shown that honey is as effective as or more effective than some over-the-counter cough medicines.
- Many cough medicines are not safe for young children, so honey is best for children over one year old.
Mixture of Milk
According to a meta-analysis, honey can reduce the severity and frequency of nighttime cough in children. A small study showed that a mixture of milk and certain types of honey was as effective as commercial products in relieving children’s coughs.
- To relieve cough, a teaspoon of
- Here are the top 10 health benefits of honey.
- Honey contains a wide range of nutrients
- Honey is a sweet, sticky liquid produced by bees.
- Bees collect sugar from their environment. In particular, they collect nectar from flowers that contain sugar.
- Once in the hive, the nectar is digested and expelled several times.
Type of Flower
- The end result is honey, a liquid that serves as food for the bees. Its aroma, colour and taste vary depending on the type of flower visited.
- Nutritionally, one tablespoon (21 g) of honey contains 64 calories and 17 g of sugar, including fructose, glucose, maltose and sucrose.
- It contains very little fibre, fat and protein.
- It also contains traces of some vitamins and minerals, less than 1% of the RDI, but you would have to eat several kilograms to meet your daily needs.
What is Good quality honey is rich in antioxidants?
- Good quality honey is rich in important antioxidants. These include organic acids and phenolic compounds such as flavonoids (5Trusted Source).
- Scientists believe that it is the combination of these compounds that gives honey its antioxidant properties (5Trusted Source).
- Interestingly, two studies show that buckwheat honey increases blood levels of antioxidants (6Trusted Source, 7Trusted Source).
- Honey is a product made by bees for bees, but it is also enjoyed by many people. For thousands of years, people have enjoyed the sweetness of honey. Some researchers believe that honey is more than just a sweetener. So, It may also have health benefits, although there is little evidence of its medical usefulness.
How to Raw Honey is Harvested Directly from the Hives?
- Raw honey is harvested directly from the hive. Some producers filter it through a coarse filter to remove impurities, but it is still not processed. Most honey sold in stores is heated to reduce its viscosity and make it easier to filter.
- So, the high heat pasteurizes the honey, which kills the yeast cells in the honey and causes unwanted fermentation.
- Honey is essentially sugar.
- It has a higher calorific value than ordinary white sugar, which use for cooking and baking.
- It is very sweet and may require less sugar as a substitute. So, Honey also adds a flavour not found in white sugar.
Tips for Uses
- One tablespoon of honey contains
- Calories: 64
- Protein: 0g
- Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Honey contains traces of vitamins and minerals.
Raw honey is not superior to process honey in terms of nutritional value or health benefits. So, Researchers found that processing has no effect on the nutritional value or antioxidant content of honey.
- Honey contains antioxidants that protect the body from inflammation.
- Inflammation can lead to a variety of health problems, including heart disease, cancer and autoimmune diseases.
- So, One study found that the antioxidants in buckwheat honey detect in plasma, suggesting that honey consumption may increase antioxidant activity in the body.
Cough medicine for children
- The Department of Health, Labor and Welfare advise against the use of over-the-counter cough and cold medicine in young children.
- Some parents use natural remedies. In one study, two teaspoons of honey soothe a child’s cough at night and helped him sleep.
- However, doctors do not recommend this method for children under one-year-old.
Honey has many health benefits. So, Extract directly from the hive, raw honey contains valuable bee pollen, propolis and many antioxidants.
Studies have not confirmed that raw honey is more beneficial to health than regular honey, but some believe that the processing and pasteurization that regular honey undergoes reduce its beneficial components.