For centuries, yoga has been a helping hand to millions seeking to unlock their true divine self. This ancient art of yoga also helps you get rid of severe health problems like depression, anxiety, and a host of physical ailments. But, do you know that yoga for the thyroid is also a thing? Yes! Thyroid-related problems also have a cure in yoga if you know the right yoga asanas.
Unfortunately, thyroid problems have become quite common in today’s date. It is an endocrine disorder that takes the form of either hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism, which is either excess or a lack of thyroid hormone. Some of the symptoms of this disorder include weight gain and fatigue. However, there are some yoga asanas that can help you get rid of this problem.
Don’t worry, yoga experts have come up with the complete list of yoga asanas to treat thyroid.
Yoga For Thyroid – How Yoga Helps
The thyroid hormone adversely impacts your body, if not produced in sufficient quantities. Some of the symptoms of a thyroid problems include fatigue, weight gain or loss, change in heart rate, and swelling of your neck among others. Moreover, a lifestyle riddled with stress is also responsible for the start of thyroid problems.
Luckily, doing yoga for thyroid helps you get rid of this problem by minimizing stress. The action of twisting, compressing, and stretching helps thyroid gland regulate the secretion of thyroid hormones.
With that said, yoga experts have come up with 5 powerful yoga asanas to help you get rid of this issue once and for all.
Yoga Poses For Thyroid
Although yoga offers you a natural way to deal with thyroid problems, you should never force your body to do hard yoga asanas. Remember, yoga is an ancient art that works its magic when done slowly and with patience.
Given below are three yoga for thyroid asanas to help you get rid of this issue.
This yoga inversion helps direct blood flow to your throat. Sarvangasana is an excellent yoga pose to handle hypothyroid problems.
- Start by lying on the yoga mat on your back.
- Yoga experts recommend you use a towel to support the shoulders. Keep your shoulders to the precipice of the towel with your head resting on the mat.
- Keep both arms on either side of your shoulders with palms facing down.
- Press your arms firmly into the mat. Lift your legs with an inhale.
- Form a 90-degree angle with your legs.
- Lift your legs upward while pushing on the shoulders with an exhale.
- Press your hands into the lower back to provide support to the hips.
- Keep your core strong by pulling your stomach inwards.
- Keep your body and legs in a straight line with your chin tucked into your chest.
Inhale and exhale deeply up to three counts before bringing your legs down.
Note: Yoga experts recommend you should keep your core tight for the duration of this yoga pose. Remember, you can seriously injure your neck if you do this yoga for thyroid asana improperly. Moreover, if you have hyperthyroidism then do not attempt this yoga asana.
2. Viparita Karani
This is an effective yoga asana that alleviates symptoms of hypothyroidism by improving blood flow to the glands. Viparita Karani alleviates the symptoms of hyperthyroidism by minimizing fatigue and curing insomnia.
Steps To Practice Viparita Karani
- Lie down flat on your back. Keep your elbows firmly on the mat.
- Support your hips with your hands. Slowly lift your legs upward.
- Pull in your shoulder blades towards one another.
- Stretch your neck. Form a straight line to the ground with your neck.
- Rest your leg against a wall for added support.
Note: Yoga experts recommend you avoid this yoga asana if you have excess thyroid hormone release.
Also Read:- Yoga Alliance Certification
Dhanurasana, also known as the Bow Pose massages your thyroid gland. It stimulates hormone production to treat hypothyroidism. This yoga for thyroid asana helps alleviate menstrual pain, minimize stress, and strengthen your back.
Steps To Practice Dhanurasana
- Lie down on your stomach on the yoga mat.
- Lift your legs and bend them towards your buttocks.
- Stretch your arms backward and grab your ankles by the feet.
- Lift your chest and abdomen while using your legs for support.
- Hold this position for 5 minutes.
Note: Do not attempt this yoga asana if you suffer from a hernia. Also, do not practice this yoga asana if you are pregnant.
Do you want to get a cure for the thyroid issue impacting your life? Practice this yoga for thyroid asanas under the guidance of highly skilled yoga instructors.
Read More:- Yoga Vs Gym