Most relationships start with various incompatibilities that couples tend to overlook after some time. Their love and understanding for each other are what help them grow a strong, lasting bond.
However, stress and daily life can create conflicts even in people who get along quite well, resulting in situations that are impossible to resolve. And this is where relationship Counselling services in Surrey, comes in. Relationship counselling can help couples see past tough situations and help them move beyond.
In this article, we will discuss when you seek counselling, what to expect a few tips for successful relationship counselling in Surrey.
When to seek counselling?
There is a common misconception that relationship counselling should only be considered when a couple is separating or getting divorced. Trust us; there are many situations that call for counselling sessions, such as –
- You both find it difficult to express feelings to each other
- You have an unsolvable argument
- You both end up withdrawing or criticizing each other during interactions
- A stressful event has made things harder in your daily life
- You struggle to decide on things
- You have experienced abuse, infidelity or addiction in the relationship
- You wish to build a stronger relationship with each other
Keep in mind that there is no wrong reason when it comes to seeking relationship counselling.
What to expect from the counselling sessions?
- In the first few session, the relationship counsellor will focus on the past and the problems you wish to resolve.
- Be ready to answer any and every question related to your relationship, childhood, parents, etc.
- Your counsellor may speak to both of you separately.
Tips to successfully completing the relationship counselling session
The effectiveness of relationship counselling in Surrey depends not only upon the qualification and experience of the counsellor but on the couple’s willingness, too. Here are some things you can do to make the most out of the session –
- Be honest to your therapist. People tend to lie due to the fear of being judged. But lying to the therapist won’t take you anywhere. The more honest you are, the better the counsellor will be able to guide you.
- You are bound to experience some discomfort during the counselling sessions. Stay ready for it because only then you and your partner can discover new truths about each other. Perhaps the discomforts can help you acknowledge that you need to grow and improve.
- Listening to what your spouse has to say is important. You certainly cannot keep your thoughts out and shut the other person when he/she is doing the same. Instead of getting defensive, try understanding what the other person has to say.
- Relationship counselling, Surrey, can take weeks and months. You will need to add your time and efforts if you wish things to get better.
It is evident from the “what to expect” section that relationship counselling can prove effective. And by following the tips suggested above, you address the conflicts and build your relationship even stronger with your loved one.
Robert James is the author of this article. For more details about Relationship Counselling in Surrey please visit our website: venturouscounselling.com